Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What I’m Reading: On the Bright Side by Dana Moscariello

Genres: Humor, Drama, Romance
First I must say that while I was working my own graphic no952c70479OWf7vel, I didn’t have much time to read the work of other people. But I promised myself that after finishing Mascara this would be one of the first comics I would read, and I’m glad I was finally able to get to it.
On the Bright Side is about a teenaged boy named Jacob and how his childhood friend Kaylee returns to town and moves into the house next door. At school, Jacob keeps a very low profile—mainly because he’s shy--but when Kaylee shows up, she changes all of that with her bubbly and optimistic personality. And of course, he finds himself falling in love with her.
This is a very sweet and funny story with artwork that’s always improving. The latest updated pages are very well done, and the story is fun and enjoyable. My favorite thing about this comic is Kaylee’s character. The popular girls in her school keep trying to be mean to her, but they always end up frustrated. Her bright personality deflects their negativity, and they’re often at a total loss. That doesn’t happen very often in shoujo style comics. Usually the popular girls get the upper hand for awhile.
Right now the comic is being updated irregularly since the artist is redoing some of the older pages.
If you think you would like reading On the Bright Side, check it out here. And it’s also on my reading list.

No comments :

Post a Comment