Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Real People are More Complex

Screen shot of my page in progress. 
I know that seems obvious.

But I still think it's interesting.

Awhile ago my husband and I were talking about our ideas for characters, and he mentioned how all of his characters remind him of himself.

In a story, all of the different personality traits can make seperate characters. But in real life, a bunch of different traits can be found in one person.

I know with my current project, Mandy & Molly, both characters are exaggerations of traits that I find in myself.

I think the reason why characters are simpler than real people is because they need to be understood. It takes a long time to get to know a person well. A storyteller on the other hand has a limited time to get the reader to connect with the characters.

Of course as the story goes on they can slowly reveal more subtle sides of a character. But at the start, writers usually make it very clear who the main character is and conveys the overall tone of their personality.

I think it's neat how writers work hard to mimic life on paper, but still there is only so much that can be shown to the audience.

And a side note about something totally different:

If you use Friend Connect to follow this blog, and you've signed in with a non-Google Account, you may want to read this post by Google. Basically, they are stopping support for non-Google accounts using Friend Connect. So if you want to continue following this blog, please create a Google Account and resubscribe.

And if you don't want to go through all of that trouble, simply sign up for my email list!

One of the reasons why I have an email list is because although online blogging services may change, email does not. Signing up for emails is the most stable way of keeping up with what I'm working on, especially since I now send out emails regularly like I should.

No comments :

Post a Comment