Thursday, February 17, 2011

Art and Music

It's typical for me to spend hours at a time drawing, and believe it or not, there are days when I wake up and don't feel like drawing at all. So one of  the things I've been doing to keep myself motivated while creating Mascara is listening to music while I work. Over time, I've found songs that I like listening to while I'm drawing specific characters. There are even situations where the music helps me set the tone and atmosphere for a page that I'm drawing. So here are a few songs that keep me going:



The Only Exception by Paramore


When I have to draw Addison for multiple pages, I love listening to Paramore--especially the song I've posted here. Their songs are delicate, but yet, bold and in your face. I like the "The Only Exception" because it's the story of girl who's had a hard time developing trust in a relationship. For Addison, trust is a big deal, and it should be--but that does put Ian in a difficult spot.

The Last Song by The All-American Rejects



When drawing Ian, it doesn't feel perfect unless I'm listening to the All-American Rejects. He's like, part heartbreak and part mischief, and to me, that's the feeling that the All-American Rejects create. "The Last Song,"is one of my favorites.

Rocketeer by Far East Movement



And on days when it's really hard for me get motivated, I start off by playing, "Rocketeer" by Far East Movement. It just takes me away. And Ryan Tedder from One Republic--his voice always makes me feel totally relaxed. So by the time I finish listening to it, I'm ready to fly off and start creating the next pages I have on schedule.

4 comments :

  1. I liked the songs you posted. I find in writing, certain songs become like theme songs for a certain character or story. Music can be very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question~~ It's like a spin-off of this music topic. What type of manga do you like to read? Any examples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question.The type of manga I enjoy the most(and have read the most) fall into the category of Shoujo. I'm very attracted to drama, comedy and romance--that type of stuff is fun to me. I have read a lot of shoujo mangas, and I have to admit that with most of them I'm like, "Oh, that was cute," but then a few days later I don't even remember the title anymore.But the ones I've enjoyed the most are Dengeki Daisy, Special A, Maid-sama, W Juliet, Lovely Complex and Kare Kano. Other mangas that still had a strong impact on me although I didn't enjoy them as much as my favorites are Boys Over Flowers, Paradise Kiss, You're So Cool, Mars, and Absolute Boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -Just wanted to add...the last few that I listed that weren't my favorites have elements that I really like seeing in manga, and other qualities that I don't like so much. They get a mixed reaction from me.

    ReplyDelete