Sunday, March 6, 2011

Where Ian Got His Necklace--and other random weirdness from Mascara

I have sooooo much extra time this weekend! I don't know where it's coming from, but whatever. While working on Mascara there were quite a few ideas that just didn't make it into the story. But those ideas that didn't make it still had a huge impact on what I did end up writing and creating. And yes, Ian's shark tooth necklace is a good example of that. So here's a list of a few ideas that just fell off the face of the Earth.



1. Addison as the main character.
When I first created Mascara, the story was supposed to be more about Addison than Ian. I saw it being told more from her point of view. But as things went on, I became more emotionally invested into Ian's character, and so did the audience. So Addison ended up becoming a secondary main character. That Ian just steals all of the attention, doesn't he? So not right.



2. Kaci was supposed to be a jealous best friend.
Kaci was supposed to be more upset about the relationship between Addison and Dimitri (Ian) and cause a bit of drama, but she turned out to be such an energetic and happy girl, I just handed her over to Nacho.

3. Ian was supposed to have black hair.
Originally, Ian was ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to be a blond. But I was just starting to learn how to use Manga Studio, and at that time I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. Even figuring out the purpose of tone was hard for me. So the thought of coloring in his black hair for who knows how many pages was not appealing. Ian's hair became blond because I was too lazy to color it in. Which brings me to #3.



4. Ian's name was something totally different because he was half Japanese.
Hahahahaha--oh gosh. Yes, he was supposed to be half Japanese. I don't remember what his name was. But after I was too lazy to color his hair black, I decided to make him simply some American guy, and he ended up looking more like my next door neighbor than I would like. Now that I reflect back on my decision, I think that was a smart move.

5. And that shark's tooth necklace:


He's always wearing it...





This came about as a result of Ian's newfound (and unplanned) blondness and my personal tastes.

He wears it because I've always wanted a necklace decorated with shark's teeth. But I don't think I could wear it because I'm scared that it could stab me the chest or something. No, I am not kidding. That is the truth. Really, I love beach jewelry. I like necklaces made of shells and hemp and such. And since I like beach jewelry, Ian likes it too. :P

Also since Ian ended up blond, he looks similar to a beach bum; it's like he just washed up on shore out of the waves. I was actually planning a scene where after Addison finds out who Ian is, they end up doing a school project at the beach over Spring Break. But I ended up cutting that, because I had another idea that I really, really wanted to try instead. So you will just have to imagine what Addison would look like in a bikini. And Ian...hahaha. I must apologize to all of the fan girls. Not happening. Nice thought, though.

9 comments :

  1. Wow, that is some cool background info on Mascara! I think it is so neat to hear from an author about how their story developed and changed. My longest running story (98,000+ words and still not finished) has changed quite a bit too since I first started on it, and it is interesting to reflect on how ideas evolve. I'm really enjoying Mascara, so I'd say all of your changes have been for the best. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you think so. Thanks! And keep working on that story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edit to the last comment: Keep working on that story so when you finish it, I can read it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome backgroud on Mascara, I have to say Ian is one of my favorite characters if not THE favorite. I love to get the author's insight to mangas I love and yours is right up there at the top of my list. I am happy to have finished Couture but also saddened by the fact that its over. You did a wonderful job with that and I knida hope you may add more to the story one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^_^ I glad that you liked Couture. It is actually a shortened version of a longer manga I've been kicking around in my mind, and there is actually a lot of background stuff about Hayden and Nakita that couldn't be included into the one shot. Thanks for your comment. Now I may give more consideration to creating the longer version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D Thanks for the random info on Mascara! Still awaiting new pages, haha. I wish I had a chance to comment yesterday, but I was studying hardcore for a test. :L
    I'm actually glad you made Ian the main character. One, because there aren't many guy p.o.v. shoujo mangas. Two, because we get to see more into Ian's emotions, and he's more central to the story.
    Anddd. Thanks for the explanation on the shark tooth necklace. I agree. I saw one of those necklaces being sold at this museum gift shop one time, but then I was scared it would stab me in my sleep. D: So yeah. Instead, I opt for my feather or butterfly necklaces.
    Looking forward to seeing more Mascara soon! :P I'll be checking in now and then for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks those necklaces are dangerous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing that background info on Mascara. I love Ian as the main character, though Addison is awesome too. I like that you didn't make Kaci a jealous friend. Instead she's more supportive and likable. And are you serious about scratching the beach scene idea? *pout*
    Surely you can fit it in somewhere...lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha...yeah, I'm serious about scratching that. But it wasn't an easy decision to make! Hmmm...make I should create an alternate ending.^^

    ReplyDelete