Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ruffles and Curls

Chapter 26 presented a totally new challenge for me: Ruffles and Curls. Both are very similar and very difficult. The most challenging thing about curly hair and clothes with ruffles is that they appear to be totally random and out of order, yet they maintain their shape. So I had to figure out how to make Addison's hair curly, but organized enough so it doesn't look like a bunch of scribbles. At the same time though, I had to make sure that her hair and the ruffles on her dress weren't overly organized because then they wouldn't look natural.

Basically, drawing this chapter was hard!

But I did find some books with good guidelines on how to draw curls and ruffles.

I learned how to draw ruffles on dresses a very long time ago. It's been awhile since I've needed to draw dresses with ruffles, so I was a bit rusty starting out. But the more I did it, the more I remembered how to do them right. I would like to do a tutorial on how to draw ruffles in the future but for now, I'll just post the name of the book that I used to learn how to draw ruffles and other fabric textures:




 Draw Fashion Models by Lee Hammond

This is an older book, but I really like it. It explains how to do all  kinds of cloth textures, even ruffles and lace.






Finding a tutorial on drawing curly hair that I liked was much harder. The one I understood the most was from this book:

Shojo Fashion Manga Art School: How to Draw Cool Looks and Characters by Irene Flores
 


This book is so Awesome. I love the pictures in it. When reading the instructions on how to draw curly hair, I didn't quite get it, but I could copy the pictures and after that, I had a better idea of what I was doing.

I feel that this illustration of Addison is okay, but I think her hair improves as the chapter continues. =^_^=

1 comment :

  1. I'm really excited about the new chapter. Thanks for sharing this little bit of behind the scenes insight, too.

    ReplyDelete