Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Making Some Quiet Time



Typically I'm surrounded by so much noise. I have music going. I'm checking social updates and eating. Then my brain is putting out a steady stream of thoughts and opinions. Mental chatter. It's like a social gathering is taking place in side of my head.


It's like attempting to read a book at a noisy party. It can be done, but it's hard. I find all of the mental noise to be tiring sometimes. So there are times when I just turn it off. Turn off the music, get away from the phone, and say silence to the mental chatter.




Sometimes I literally say inside my head, "Shhhh!"


When I do, I notice all the little sounds around me. I notice the position of my body, and how my clothes feel against my skin. I notice everything that I'm touch and doing in that moment. The way I breath.


When I do, it's scary. It's like the awkward moment in a conversation where everyone runs out of something to say. But it's relaxing, and calming.


Then when I do allow the noise an the thoughts to come flooding in again, they're easier to figure out. Sometimes after taking a break, I get some ideas that are very innovative. It's like the silence gave my brain time to develop something new.

On a crazy day, what do you do to get away from it all?

No comments :

Post a Comment