Tuesday, October 12, 2010

If My Characters Were BJDs…

When I was little, I would spend hours playing with dolls because I enjoyed getting them involved in ridiculous storylines. I don’t play with dolls anymore, but I still like looking at them, especially the ball-jointed dolls. And I couldn’t help but think, “If I wanted to have a cast of dolls based on the characters from Mascara, what would they look like?” So I went to Iplehouse.net, and found some dolls that reminded me of the characters from my graphic novel. And this might sound crazy, but looking at pictures of them actually helps me sometimes when I have a creative block.
First up: Blaine
blaineinsp
  “Ian…What’s so great about him?”
Something about the look on this doll’s face is so Blaine. The jealousy is there. All that’s missing is a wig with super spiked hair.


Nacho
akando_dt1
  “I will train you in the way of the quarterback…”
Nacho is a fairly new character, so I’ll give a brief reintroduction. He’s the injured quarterback of the football team who Ian will be replacing for one game.
His hair and his relaxed facial expression is perfectly Nacho.


Kaci
20090811041147m
“Good Morning Everybody!”
Kaci is Addison’s best girl friend. The eyes on this doll are very warm and sociable, which fits Kaci’s character. And she has some cute bangs.


Addison
20091110115831m
  “Didn’t I just turn you down?! Go Die.”
I chose this doll as Addison for other reasons besides her hair. That smirk and sarcastic demeanor shows that winning her heart won’t easy. As for putting in a lot of time towards being stylish—not her thing.


And finally… Ian
akando_b_dt4
  “Go die? Why would I do that?”
Technically, Ian’s eyes are green, but this is close enough. And in case you’re wondering, this is him as his makeup artist alter-ego, not what he’s like at school.
But the slightly mischievous, but smart feeling this doll gives off reminds me of him…
“I’m not making you over!”

3 comments :

  1. Wow, those are awesome dolls. I like your choices. They do fit the characters very well. I've never really looked at *dolls* much before (I'm very masculine! *ahem*), but I do have a small collection of *action figures* (Seriously, though, what's the difference?). I especially like the Final Fantasy figures from Play Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've never seen such beautiful, detailed dolls. That's really cool. My sister and I used to play with dolls a lot and some of the story lines we created with them are becoming the books we are writing today. Funny, isn't it? Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to find dolls that resemble my characters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heather- They are awesome aren't they? ^_^ You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete