Friday, July 18, 2014

Becoming Lena: Plot and Character Planning

A while ago I shared this picture of the possible cover for my next manga.



Just to let you know, work on that manga is still in progress. I’ve finally started really getting the plot together. I’m using sticky notes on a dry erase board because it’ll be easy for me to rearrange the plot elements if I need to, and I can write little notes next to them.



I know it looks crazy. I still have many more sticky notes to add. I’m wondering what my husband will say when he sees that all of the sticky notes in the house are suddenly gone...

I’m also creating Pinterest boards for each of my characters to get a clearer picture of their signature style and an overall feel of their personality.

Allena

T-shirts, skinny jeans, and cool jackets. Allena likes to keep things simple and uncomplicated. Skeptically optimistic. 
Follow Arcadia's board Allena on Pinterest.



Deena

Tanks tops, cargo jeans, knit hats. Deena is a very friendly girl with a positive outlook.

Follow Arcadia's board Deena on Pinterest.

Edna

Collared shirts, blazers, ties, and girl’s clothing inspired by menswear. Edna can seem dry and unfriendly, but she’s actually very loyal to those who are close to her, and she wants the best for everyone. I haven’t made the board for her yet. Coming soon!


All three of these girls come together to form a rockband. I’m mainly focusing on male rock bands for inspiration because I find that they tend to have a high level of emotional intensity. I’m also getting some inspiration from the RIOT Girrl bands of the 90’s. Basically, I want the girl group in this graphic novel to be more than the typical girls standing around singing while looking cute. I want them to be raw, loud, and emotionally honest--playing music from their heart, not just for sex appeal like a lot of girl groups.

Well, it may be too early to call it girl band. The drummer may end up being a guy. Having a male drummer in a band that’s mostly girls sounds like a very predictable situation, but writing the predictable in an unpredictable way is my specialty.

So that’s where I am so far. The character sheets are also finally starting to take their final form, and I can’t wait to share those with you soon!

And if you have any pins that you think I could use for these Pinterest boards, feel free to send them my way. ^_^

2 comments :