Friday, August 21, 2015

What Thrifting is Like for Someone Who Loves New Stuff

I am a new stuff lover. I love the smell and the feel and the un-usedness of new stuff. I like thinking of how no one else has used an item except for me. It's a wonderful, yet selfish feeling.

Still, I think it's good to reuse things when possible and practical.

I've always had a problem when it comes to buying used stuff--especially clothes. But I decided to give thrifting a good try because it looks like an adventure and having the ability to find quality clothes at a low price would definitely be good for the bank account.

I had to do some research about shopping for clothes at a thrift store, because usually when I go the thrift stores I feel overwhelmed and can't find anything.  There are many different sources with the same advice, but here are the ones out of all of those I found to be the most helpful for me.

Have a plan

I realized that I when I go to the thrift store to buy clothes, it's easy for me to buy things that don't match with anything I have.  This wardrobe Sudoku post at Su Sews has been helpful when it comes to making sure that whatever I buy fits in with what I have. I'm glad that I seriously emptied my closet before doing the wardrobe Sudoku. It would be more difficult if I had a lot of clothes.

Prepare to spend an hour

It does take a long time to look through clothes at the thrift store because everything is different. I come prepared to be there for a while. I always carry a bottle of water with me. To cut down on time spent looking through the racks, I also don't look for my size. I simply eyeball the items I like to see if it looks like it could fit me. If it does, I throw it in the cart to try on later.

Dress simple

If it wasn't for this tip, I wouldn't even attempt to shop for clothes at a thrift store. When I go, I wear a tight black tank top and skinny jeans so I can try clothes on over what I'm already wearing. The Goodwill in my area has dressing rooms, but I still cringe at the thought of unwashed used clothes touching my body.

Buy almost new stuff

When I buy used clothes I check for the following: Pilling of the fabric, stains, holes, hanging threads, missing buttons, stuck zippers, loss of shape, thinness of material (from being worn), and color fading. If it has any of these defects, even a tiny one, I don't buy it.  Sticking to this has helped me to find some wonderful barely worn items. They're like new!


By doing these things, shopping for clothes at thrift stores actually became enjoyable. It think the coolest thing about it is that I don't have to stick to what's the hottest style at the moment, I can pick what I like. And it's an amazing feeling when I find that piece of clothing that's a treasure: it fits me, it fits my personality, and it matches with most of things I already own. 

No comments :

Post a Comment