Saturday, December 4, 2010

Week One


I’ve been working on “Couture” for one week, and here is where I am. I have drawn 30 pages, and I have two more to go. The whole process has been just really insane. It took me one hour to write the script, about 45 minutes to plan the main characters (There are only three main characters, so that was easy…), and as for drafting pages—I had to skip that step.
It was a scary decision to make because for Mascara, I plan every page before I draw it. But since I am short on time, I just had to do it on the fly.
It’s strange working on a manga other than Mascara. It’s like meeting a whole bunch of new people, but it didn’t take me long to get comfortable with the personalities of the new characters.
The thing that slowed me down the most was the male character’s hair. At first it was this extremely short haircut. But after drawing four pages, I knew it wasn’t going to work because his look couldn’t handle his character. So I had to come up with another idea for his hairstyle. That took sometime, but now his look really suits him.
By the end of next week, I hope to have all 32 pages inked and scanned.
Yah!! This is crazy!!!!

Sneak peak (This is super raw):
gurlrocker
This is the first page. Still need to clean it up, tone it, etc, etc…

4 comments :

  1. Hi Arcadia, this is the first time I've posted a comment to your blog but I've been following Mascara for some time (Catalyst tipped me off to your Manga) and I love it. I just had to jump in here as say that your new contest endevor looks wonderful. I love the sneek peek here and I think your art work (for raw) is really great. I would love to be able to draw but my talents lie in other areas. Keep writing, keep drawing - you truly have a gift! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been working fast! I like the preview. Your art is getting really good. I can't wait to see it polished. It is interesting to read about your process too. Your work has inspired me to want to attempt making a comic again, so it is really neat to learn more about how you make yours.

    These two characters look really interesting, but what is she doing with those scissors? Is she going for his hair, his tie, or his throat? I'm sure it has something to do with the theme of the story. I don't think I'd let a girl get that close to me with a pair of scissors though. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ladyquilt--you're welcome and thanks!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. @catalyst--hahaha--yeah, she's kind of dangerous. I really like her character. It's interesting...

    ReplyDelete