Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Help! I'm Married to a Mangaka!- Umicon 2013


This is the title of a panel that my husband and I will be hosting at Umicon in Daytona Beach on Sunday. I'm really excited about being able to talk about what I do. We'll also be giving away some free artwork and manga to those in attendance...it'll be fun! BTW, the title was my idea. I am shameless.
The story of how my husband and I met is quite ordinary. I won't bore you with that. But the story of how we fell in love is everything but ordinary. Actually, he fell in love with me over a novel that I wrote when I was fifteen. 
 ****
Omnigirl 
by Arcadia

        I gave my friend Jamie weird stares as she lugged around a huge poster board plastered with Internet pictures of the Battle of Gettysburg. I noticed her staring at me
too because unlike her, I was carrying nothing but my backpack.
     Looking me up and down she asked, “Lila, what did you do for your history project?”
     “It’s a secret,” I said. “You’ll see in class.”
     “Then it must be something great.” Her mouth broke out into a wide grin. She knows me too well. Jamie and I have known each other ever since— ever since before we were born. Really. Our moms would go on chili-dog binges together when they were pregnant, but neither of us knew we were across from each other. We weren’t born looking the same though. Jamie is slim and delicate. She always has kept her hair cut in the same short and bouncy style. Her fair skin testifies to the little amount of time she spends outside. As for me, my skin is dark brown, and I have insane hair that constantly ignores the laws of gravity. My mom says that my hair is just like my personality. I don’t think so. I believe I’m a relatively shy person, except when it comes down to my projects.
  Every time I did a project, it always had to be something new, original, or not tried by anyone else before. That’s just the type of person I am. It was another stuffy school day, not too different from the many others. The only excitement I could look forward to was presenting my project to the class.
      I was nervous when I walked into the classroom. Most students had a display board or some kind of poster for their projects. Some had written reports. Mine was in my head. Believe me, more thought went into it than it seemed. Rapping about history wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. 

 


No comments :

Post a Comment