Friday, May 15, 2015

Rebuilding My Creative Routine to Break Out of a Rut






Until recently, I've realized that my life has changed a lot over the past 5 years. It's like I was just going along living and doing stuff, and I didn't realize how much has changed until I took a moment one day to look back. 

Then I could clearly see why I was having such a difficult time getting into my creative projects, and finding time to do them. Three years ago, I was unmarried and living at home. Now I have a husband and a house to deal with and chores and whatever comes with all of that. 

Still, I was trying to stick to the creative routine that I had three years ago--like nothing had changed. 

But EVERYTHING had changed. And that's why the old way of doing things that was so great before, was no longer working. 

I started this blog 5 years ago, and back then I was focused on graphic novels and manga. I'm still focused on graphic novels and manga (I'm working on a new graphic novel at this moment), but I've realized that just focusing on that topic has limited me on how much I share about the little creative projects and processes that I take on everyday. 

And honestly I find writing about that more interesting than the basics of graphic novel making. Not that I won't write about that anymore, but I want cover a broader range of subjects about creating things.

Now I'm excited about writing and making stuff all over again!

So next time when I'm stuck in a rut, I think I'll take a moment to step away from everything. I'll look at my past and ask myself "Is it different from now?" Then I'll think about the future, and see if I'm where I want to be now to get there. Sometimes a little reflection is all it takes to get things back on track.

To make things neater, I've reorganized my blog posts into categories on the top bar. I find it makes finding relevant articles way easier.

Also if you're only here for the posts I write about creating manga and don't wish to be bothered with the other stuff, that's fine. Simply subscribe to the filtered RSS feed that's on the right. It only shows posts that are tagged Manga.

Thank you so much for reading, and hopefully I will be updating this blog for many years to come. ^_^





No comments :

Post a Comment